online resources for the stop motion animation community since 1999
I'm going to a pre cartoon to learn how to use the software and get the feel of stop motion. I don't want to many surprises. So far I'm off to a very slow start.. I have the armature started, but I think I'm going to redo the head. When I get it finished Ill use it as an avatar. I've given myself a year for this project, and the main project, but I think it may take longer. Your suggestions are always welcome.
Try using K&S tubing to give you removeable hands and head.
Is that plumber's epoxy to hold the shape? What gauge wire are you using for the arms? Looks like you are using the same gauge all the way around? You'll want the legs / lower half to be stiffer than the arms usually. As you don't want to adjust the arms and the legs move. I'm building something similar soon. But using K&S for removable appendages. Do you have loops on the foot ready for some nuts? That's how I start the foot with a wire / epoxy armature. Don't worry about redoing anything. A complete armature is great to get started with, so finish it and learn what you do and don't like about it. Make the next one better! :D
yeah, plumbers putty. I probably wont use that again ,sure made a mess. I may use oven bake clay next time. I used the 1/16 armature wire. I do like the idea of the k&s tubing. I do appreciate your suggestions Brandon and Simon. Where's a good place to buy a&s tubing. The art supply places by me only had 1/4 inch.
I buy the K & S brass tubing in hobby stores, the ones that sell model kits and radio control planes and model railway stuff. There is usually a rack with the different sizes that fit inside each other.
2 or 3 strands of 1/16th" is fine for legs on a 6" or 7" tall puppet. For a 11" to 12" puppet I use two strands of the heavier 1/8th" wire for legs and spine, and the 1/16th" for arms and neck. Usually 4 or 5 strands in the arms.
I find the epoxy putty is a little stronger than the oven baked polymer clays like Sculpey or Fimo - on a couple of puppets I made with visible Sculpey bodies, and gaps at the joints, the Sculpey tended to crack near the joint as the wire flexed, but not if it had epoxy putty underneath it.