3 Stop Motion movies nominated for 2013 Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film

Good news for Stop Motion, here are the nominees for Best Animated Feature Film this time around:

Brave
Frankenweenie
ParaNorman
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Wreck-It Ralph

Views: 771

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree.  I am not surprised that Brave won the Oscar.  I was, however, surprised that 3 stop motion films were nominated, in a way, that is a win.  Congratulations to everyone that worked on those films.

I don't understand this Oscar...

Like many others, I'm taking solace in that all 3 stop-motion films released last year were nominated.

That said, do I believe Brave should have won the award? No. While it was a fine film and I'm not about to knock Pixar, it was far from their best recent work (being closer to Cars 2 than Toy Story 3).

Personally, I would have given the award to ParaNorman, what I would consider to be the new pinnacle of stop motion achievement, but I would have understood if Frankenweenie had received it instead.

By that I have absolutely nothing but the top most respect for Pirates: Band of Misfits, but I didn't think the story brought enough new to the table.

What surprised me almost more than Brave winning the award is the outcry I have seen on numerous other sites declaring that Wreck It Ralph was somehow robbed. It was an entertaining movie and a new twist on an old story, but I felt it relied too much on nostalgia and if my childhood arcade memories weren't included in the film, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. Not to mention, do arcades even exist anymore?!?

In the end, I can't get too upset as I rarely agree with the awards for ANY category... so why should the one I care the most about be any different?

The fact that 2012's stop motion films went 3 for 3 in their nominations and beat out numerous top level animated films is an amazing achievement and will hopefully be enough to make Hollywood take notice.

I was disappointed with the animated short section as well - Paperman won primarily based on its technical aspects - the short itself is rather bland. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSVKptu-8J8

Remember when this won over Mickey's Christmas Carol? What happened?

There was a period of time (in the '80's) when Clay Animation was all the rage.

Thanks primarily to the Noid and the California Raisins - both from Will Vinton's studio. After those two ad campaigns hit, there was tons of stop motion being produced for years!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Pete Pipkins replied to Pete Pipkins's discussion Canon 250D problem
"Thanks for the reply. I've dropped a line to SMP to query the compatability. It'll be…"
10 hours ago
Ethan Bartholomae replied to Pete Pipkins's discussion Canon 250D problem
"It's likely that the 250D is too new of a camera for Stop Motion Pro to support. I had the…"
yesterday
Pete Pipkins posted a discussion

Canon 250D problem

Hi AllI'm trying to connect a Canon EOS 250D to Stop Motion Pro Eclipse.I'm connecting via the USB…See More
yesterday
Ben Owora posted photos
yesterday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}