Hey all, it was just about 20 years ago that I purchased this domain name and set up this website in April of 1999. Over the years, it's been interesting for me to see and hear from people who were impacted from this site in a positive way. I've even been able to meet or work with a few of you out there. It has always been my desire to use this site as a way of informing, educating and connecting talented people. So, let's hear from you, if you have any stories from the past 20 years relating to this website, I'd love to hear them. - Anthony

Views: 508

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I placed the name and original logo of this website in the end credits of my film 'In the Fall of Gravity' back in 2008 because the folks here really helped me keep up the enthusiasm needed to do all the work to finish that film.

I would also like to add that when someone asked "How did they do the heads for Corpse bride? that got me and others to do some digging , And seeing as I didn't have the skills to make small gears I came up with My own way.Then I shared them here and started to develop it into something that I was happy to get to should people up at the Montreal Festival. That lead to making two heads for a film up there and a few friendships along the way.Also got to show Anthony and Henry Selick one year!!
  This also lead to having John Ikuma interview me about them in Stop Motion Magazine!!
  And also last but not least learning from some on this site and getting to know peoples work like Nick Hilligoss and Ron Cole ,who I also got to met and see his studio and his own puppet making .
  Well thats just some of the things that came about being here .I know other social medias popped up and has brought me in other directions I still share here and will continue to do so :)
Thanks for having us Anthony !!!

Also I like to say again that the work that I was exposed here is great at any level . Those who are trying their hand for the first time or people with awesome skills like Justin Rausch !!
Another two I got to meet Justin and Shel !!  I love what they do !!!!

Hey Anthony! I came across the 20 year post accidentally via Eric Scott (a member here for long time) recently emailed me about other matters which brought my attention to SMA.COM. I just posted this at my facebook Stop Motion Works page ....

Great memories from old SMA.com. I was active probably from mid of 1st decade of millenia to the beginning of second. Can't remember how many posts I did, but it was several thousand. Much of my animation knowledge I can thank SMA.com. It was more technically difficult at the time, because of the lack of live feed, as well as inferior software. Also the digital cameras were not well known in long stop motion use. One often had to invest a lot into equipment, before knowing if they work. SMA.com was perfect place for such technical questions. Now one can just buy any Canon dslr and Dragonframe, and get on with it. My first "pro" setup was Nikon D70 with B&W cctv camera connected to analogue capture card. Software was Stopmotion pro. It took months of research before I had nerve to make an order. I can remember the endless discussions about live feed. How and why.

Thanks Anthony! Sorry I've been inactive for the last years...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Jet Zhang posted discussions
20 hours ago
Jasper Kuipers replied to Iulian Demetrescu's discussion Pigment oil clay
"Hi Iulian,I have had some nice results using powdered paint pigments. The stuff that is used to…"
Sunday
StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Dec 4
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Dec 4

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}