Hey all, it was just about 20 years ago that I purchased this domain name and set up this website in April of 1999. Over the years, it's been interesting for me to see and hear from people who were impacted from this site in a positive way. I've even been able to meet or work with a few of you out there. It has always been my desire to use this site as a way of informing, educating and connecting talented people. So, let's hear from you, if you have any stories from the past 20 years relating to this website, I'd love to hear them. - Anthony

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you so much! I've learned a lot of valuable information on this website and am glad that I found this awesome community!

It's a great site and I have learned and really like seeing peoples work

Heres to another 20 !

This great website does exactly what you set out to do. It is a resource that has built over the years into something that addresses all aspects of stop motion. I have learned so much here, and check in every few days to see if there is something of interest.

Seven years ago I got properly into stop motion, having worked in television (1:1 scale!) during the analogue years. I may not have continued were it not for this site, especially during that steep uphill slog to get to understand the software programs. 

My specialty has been sculpting and mould-making, and in order to repay the debt I owe for advice so freely given I have tried to give of my own experience. And designing and building a couple of moco rigs has also been an opportunity to share what I found out.

I think that is what this site is all about, paying it forward. Thanks.

The first time I really set up and noticed stop motion animation was around 1980 when I saw a special about how the Tauntaun was animated for Empire Strikes Back. I have always had a dream of making a creature like that come to life. Jump forward 30 years and the dream is still there and gets super fueled by recent films. Rooting around on the internet it is very easy to find some general basic information on stop motion but if you really want to get to the nuts and bolts of it you need industry professionals sharing their experiences and this website provides such a forum.

Plus I would still be sitting on the sidelines if not for the Stop Mo Jams. While neither jam had anything to do with a film I wanted to make it was enough motivation for me to get off my tail and just try something. My plans for my next two practice films were shattered when I lost my day job. However the fire still exists and I hope to animate again soon.

Thank You Mr. Scott for the site.

This site is a wonderful resource. The tutorials and networking are invaluable. Long live StopMotion!

My story: I came around 2006 during high school, and I it was almost by accident because I was not supposed to learn stopmotion and no one told me to. But I kept hearing about a specific place where many people would gather. At that time English as a second lanuage was quite basic and I felt intimidated by the vast information. Thanks to many blogs like darkstrider blog who suggested the forum, I started to dive into and felt more confident.  Eventually this allowed me to meet wonderful people who I still communicate with and I consider my friends. Unfortunately none of them have I seen in person, except for one.

It it s a great place and the starting point of many adventures. If anything, I just wished I had discovered this place earlier.

Happy 20th annyversary. SMA

This place is filled with diamonds! I got first contact with the site in year 2000 while working on my graduation film. And after that I have found solutions to my tricky problems easily from this community.

So humble thanks for keeping it up and running!
-Tatu
pohjavirta.art

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Mozen posted a discussion

I made another test animation - walk cycle

Heyo,Here's my first walk cycle test. I have access to my school's studio for the next month, so…See More
16 hours ago
Ian Harding posted photos
yesterday
Yiorgos commented on Michael Ahumada's photo
Thumbnail

Adding some green screen

"I was wondering if there is a general consensus regarding the use -or not - of a green screen.…"
yesterday
Jet Zhang posted a discussion

Beaver sculpture need suggestions.

Hi,I am making a beaver puppet for my online kids show demo. The character will combine real beaver…See More
yesterday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}