Announcing the 1st Ever StopMotionAnimation.com STOPMO JAM!

What is it?

An opportunity for animators to be a part of a stop motion experimental film.

How does it work?

You animate at home or in your studio. Your animation takes place on a simple white set. A white sweep is best. (see set examples below) Your subject(s) must enter frame at the start and exit frame by the end so that the next shot can be cut together with yours. One shot, no cuts, up to 20 seconds in length.

Deadline to complete animation is April 18, 2016. Once all entries are submitted, I'll cut them together and feature the final film here on StopMotionAnimation.com.

RULES AND GUIDELINES

I will update this as needed so check back occasionally.

Deadline: April 18, 2016 (extended from April 1)

Theme: Spring (all definitions of the word)

Shot length: Up to 20 seconds. One shot, no cuts.

Set Floor and Background must be white, a white sweep is a good way to accomplish this. Your shot must start with a blank white frame and end the same way.

Puppets can be made of clay, paper, foam, wire, sand, whichever materials you can utilize to create your design but it must be stop motion animated. Sorry no LEGOs, action figures, toys, or store bought items are allowed UNLESS it is modified (painted, covered with paper or clay, etc). The goal is to make a hand-made experimental film. Stop motion puppets, 2d cutouts, sand, painting, pixelation, all hand-made animation techniques allowed as long as it is against a white field. Depending on interest, there may be a LEGO JAM or a CLAY JAM in the future.

Audio, dialogue, sound effects are allowed but no music please. I will try to either have music composed or find music that fits the whole film if needed.

Content must be ok for kids to watch. Please nothing political. I reserve the right not to include your animation if it doesn't fit into these guidelines. If you have any questions, please post below.

---------

Technical Guidelines

Frame Rate: 24fps

Aspect Ratio 1920 x 1080

Compression Codec: H264 

Once your animation is complete, contact me and I'll provide you with a way to upload your finished Quicktime movie.

Title and Credit: At the end of the film, I will display a frame from your animation with the title and your name next to it similar to the sample credit card pictured below. Please no title or credits in your actual animation.

title card example

Views: 10047

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here what I've been making for my entry. I'm looking forward to animating later this week.

Adam Taylor said:

Nice set up Wendy.  I am getting really excited for this animation Jam.  Now, I just have to find time to do one myself.

Thank you Adam.  We are having a blast working on this and are thrilled to be participating!

Jon Peters said:

Awesome Wendy! What slider rig is that? 

Here is a pic of Justin Kohn working on our entry. 

Hi Jon, I’m so excited to see your post here!  Im sure anything your studio comes up with will be wonderful and the puppet shown here looks intriguing. We can’t wait to see your entry and the finished film.  

As for our rig, we set up a Porta-Jib Explorer to get a nice, smooth slider shot.  However, once we started shooting, we decided that keeping the camera in a static position was a better way to tell our story. We’re still learning and loving every minute of it!

Anthony Scott said:

Wendy Solberg sent in this production photo recently of her work in progress.

Thank you for posting the shot of our set, Anthony.  Just saw this post today… we have been finishing up several projects and are so excited about Stop Mo Jam.  

Well, it seems that we are getting closer to the stop motion jam deadline. How is everyone doing so far? I may have to go quite basic if I want to participate. I am planning to use no more than just clay and some random idea for morphing a character.

As far as introducing characters I´m planning to simply show two tiny balls rolling, one from left, the other from the right, and once they hits one another, I will apply morphing technique to let the balls become into my character. Hopefully this will save me a lot of hard work from walk cycle to sophisticated puppets to be in. 

By the way, I currently provide with me a 720p webcam, will it be strictly necessary to maintain the 1920x1080 aspect ratio? Otherwise I will have to look for my canon eos which is not at the moment at my house, but maybe I can get it this weekend. 

Yes that is correct, some people have sent full frame and I will crop it to fit. Also try to get your background as bright white as you can, I will have to do some correction to fix a few films to get them to cut better, which is no problem. I don't mind that it isn't perfect but if you want, use this as a guide:

If you click on the above image, it will open up a larger file that you can download from your browser. This is a photo of a clean plate from my white sweep set. It is not a perfect white everywhere but it's a good guide for you. Wish I had thought of this before but I only just took this photo myself 2 weeks ago.

- Anthony

-------------

Mad Doug K said:

Hey Anthony,

just want to make absolutely sure about this, 1920/1080 in a 16/9 mask correct? Or no mask whatsoever? I am going to shoot tomorrow and just want to make sure. The above Youtube vid looks like it is in a 16/9 frame which is basic HD.

I was able to get past the half way point in my animation today. The first day I tried it was a massive train wreck however yesterday and today went ok. A couple of mistakes were made like leaving a pair of scissors on the set and not realizing it and also shooting a few frames with the overhead lights left on accidentally. Still having fun!!

Ineptitude - If you can't do something well, enjoy doing it poorly.

Mmhh.. got some problems with the white.. tried to light the white background with a couple of desk lamps with swing arms, cold light, but as I get them closer to the set, the captured image shown on display start flickering.. had to turn lights a bit more distant to turn the image clear, but at the same time the background is no more very white.. I already started shooting so I have no time to find a solution; hope it will be fine anyway..

Working like mad to try and remove the rigs and unwanted shadows.  It isn't going to be close to the deadline this time.  Too many projects on at once I guess.

Congrats!

Mad Doug K said:

I AM FINISHED!!!!

Hey folks, I wanted to share my completed pup, a spring fairy, foam latex tinted a light green and then colored with brush tip markers and a few touches of acrylic paint.  Still have a couple of props to create, but I'm sure I can make the deadline  (I think I can, I think I can...)

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's jam!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

GUATEMAX Animations posted a video

TRAILER | ONCE BEFORE: A Very Short Short |Part 1| 4K Cowboy-Western film project

*CC SUBTITLES ENGLISH AVAILABLE* Set in the 1840's, Lukas Estay seeks something, but his new acquaintances have no clue what the future holds them. This is a...
10 minutes ago
GUATEMAX Animations updated their profile
11 minutes ago
David Martin updated their profile
10 hours ago
Ina J replied to Kit's discussion Two StickyBones puppets going dirt cheap.
"Awesome! I believe I can't PM you until you accept my friend request, though. Once you've…"
11 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}