Announcing the 1st Ever StopMotionAnimation.com STOPMO JAM!

What is it?

An opportunity for animators to be a part of a stop motion experimental film.

How does it work?

You animate at home or in your studio. Your animation takes place on a simple white set. A white sweep is best. (see set examples below) Your subject(s) must enter frame at the start and exit frame by the end so that the next shot can be cut together with yours. One shot, no cuts, up to 20 seconds in length.

Deadline to complete animation is April 18, 2016. Once all entries are submitted, I'll cut them together and feature the final film here on StopMotionAnimation.com.

RULES AND GUIDELINES

I will update this as needed so check back occasionally.

Deadline: April 18, 2016 (extended from April 1)

Theme: Spring (all definitions of the word)

Shot length: Up to 20 seconds. One shot, no cuts.

Set Floor and Background must be white, a white sweep is a good way to accomplish this. Your shot must start with a blank white frame and end the same way.

Puppets can be made of clay, paper, foam, wire, sand, whichever materials you can utilize to create your design but it must be stop motion animated. Sorry no LEGOs, action figures, toys, or store bought items are allowed UNLESS it is modified (painted, covered with paper or clay, etc). The goal is to make a hand-made experimental film. Stop motion puppets, 2d cutouts, sand, painting, pixelation, all hand-made animation techniques allowed as long as it is against a white field. Depending on interest, there may be a LEGO JAM or a CLAY JAM in the future.

Audio, dialogue, sound effects are allowed but no music please. I will try to either have music composed or find music that fits the whole film if needed.

Content must be ok for kids to watch. Please nothing political. I reserve the right not to include your animation if it doesn't fit into these guidelines. If you have any questions, please post below.

---------

Technical Guidelines

Frame Rate: 24fps

Aspect Ratio 1920 x 1080

Compression Codec: H264 

Once your animation is complete, contact me and I'll provide you with a way to upload your finished Quicktime movie.

Title and Credit: At the end of the film, I will display a frame from your animation with the title and your name next to it similar to the sample credit card pictured below. Please no title or credits in your actual animation.

title card example

Views: 9909

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Anne, 

If the puppets are not recognizable or trademarked in some way, it is ok to use them.

Anne Koreman said:

Oh this is so cool! I'll squeeze it in somewhere in my schedule, but I hope it's okay that I use the puppets from my current project, I'm too busy with that to build something new..?

Heck yeah! Let's do this:-)

I think I'll start next week! Is the final project length subject to how many folks participate and how many are on board?

Does the subject or subjects need to enter and exit at a certain height or speed to make cutting them together easier? For example should subjects all walk into frame or is it okay for them to crawl or fly into frame even though that may not match up with the action of the previous or latter clips?

You can make them enter or exit any way you want. I just need a few clean frames on either end to help with cutting. I know lighting and sets will vary so there will be some jarring cuts but I am trying to keep it to a minimum.

Jasmine Best said:

Does the subject or subjects need to enter and exit at a certain height or speed to make cutting them together easier? For example should subjects all walk into frame or is it okay for them to crawl or fly into frame even though that may not match up with the action of the previous or latter clips?

Hi James, 

Yes a plain armature is fine, just find some way to link it to the overall theme which is the word spring. Analogue might work if I put it in the beginning or end near the credits. I can find a creative way to make it work. Do you have a white wall you can shoot against?

I moved the deadline to April 18 due to my schedule. I won't be able to assemble everything until after the 18th. So that gives everyone more time, which is always a good thing. :)

James Krysa said:

hi.  can I use a plain armature, or does it have to be modified in some way?  and does it have to be HD quality, as I dont have a HD Camera and DragonFrame software yet.  I would be doing it on my video lunchbox sync which is analogue with an old video camera.  Also Im having problems getting a big enough peice of white card at the moment.  not sure where I can buy.  I noticed you moved the deadline forward to April 18 now, instead of April 1st right?

Came back from my beach vacation all charged and ready to get started. I built an animation table this weekend and will be doing camera, lighting and software tests this week. I'll start a new thread as I move along with my film as I am sure there will be issues I will need help with.

I'm so glad you've extended the deadline! I'm so busy on several projects right now that it was looking pretty impossible for me to shoot something for this, the extended deadline is making it look a bit more possible.  :)

Yeah this helps everyone I think. 

Ron Cole said:

I'm so glad you've extended the deadline! I'm so busy on several projects right now that it was looking pretty impossible for me to shoot something for this, the extended deadline is making it look a bit more possible.  :)

STOPMO JAM UPDATE:

How are your Jams coming along? I'll be working on getting my set finished up. Probably will be working mostly in clay so I am installing a PVC sweep for easy cleanup.

I've got a musician who is interested in scoring the JAM. So audio is not important to provide on your finished QuickTime. Sound effects and dialogue ok but best to keep to a minimum.

Please don't send your finished film until after April 18th. I won't be available to put everything together until then. I will provide instructions on how to submit your film closer to the deadline. Be prepared to upload your finished QuickTime, Title of your Jam and Name for your credit.

Have fun Jammin'!

Can i shoot in 12 fps and than convert it into 24fps?)))

Yes, as long as it plays back correctly in a 24 fps edit project. I will be stringing all the movies together in one Premiere project set at 24 fps.

Andrii Miskiv said:

Can i shoot in 12 fps and than convert it into 24fps?)))

Progress! Cleared the old set off the stage and hung the white sweep. Can't wait to start animating...

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Jasper Kuipers replied to Iulian Demetrescu's discussion Pigment oil clay
"Hi Iulian,I have had some nice results using powdered paint pigments. The stuff that is used to…"
Sunday
StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Dec 4
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Dec 4
Rob Nugen replied to Anthony Scott's discussion Please Introduce Yourself
"Welcome to the community!  I look forward to seeing some of your work.  :-)"
Dec 3

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}