My son is almost 14 years old.  He has done some stop motion on his 3Ds with his lego figures, although there is no sound.  He is asking for a real stop motion camera for Christmas. I don't even know where to begin.  He doesn't have his own personal computer but he does have one he shares with his sister (it runs Windows).  I was hoping to find a camera that was easy to use...not too delicate...and able to record onto a SD card instead of having to be attached to the computer.  The ones I see on Amazon say they need to be plugged into a computer while filming.  I don't want a camera that has to be attached to the computer while he is recording.  Is there a software program that would be good for him?  Maybe in the $50 or under range?
He is also interested in clay mation.  I don't know if there is a certain type of clay that I am supposed to buy him.
My budget is under $200 but I prefer to stay in the $100-$150 area.
Thank for ANY information,
Amanda

Views: 4034

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does he have an ipad? There are numerous options for very cheap which allow manual camera control and even audio. Let me know and I'll compile a list.

Hi. I think your original camera/SD card idea is good !!

I'd get one with a decent size display and an easy scroll button to review the photos ... just as an example, Nikon Coolpix S3600. They take plenty of abuse and retail for about £70. A simple video program or a dedicated stop-motion program can string up your photos.

No doubt your boy will run into technical difficulties but websites like this will help.

Animating without a computer is certainly a viable option though. Everything I animate, professionally and unprofessionally, I do by using the camera display.

If you decide to buy a camera instead of a webcam, one thing that makes a huge difference is shooting with a wireless remote so to avoid disturbing the camera every time your boy take a shot. Here is one dead cheap but obviously it will have to match the camera you end up buying.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Infrared-Wireless-Remote-Control-for-Cool...

These days you can definitely get a decent webcam for stop-motion for way under $200. Here are some full stop-motion kits for kids; many are bundled with software, camera, and pieces to animate, and they're all under $100. 

If you do get Stopmotion Explosion, let me know how you like it. 

With all due respect, there are many iPad stop motion apps which allow for manual control of focus and exposure.

StopmoNick said:

The thing is, to see what you are doing, you do need a camera attached to a computer. And that is how a webcam (the cheapest suitable camera) works,  it sends it's image to a computer.  That way, you use a framegrabber program (like Stop Motion Pro, Dragonframe, Monkeyjam etc) which shows you the live view from the camera, and lets you click back to the previous frames you have already then to see how much you have moved your puppet.  I started in the old days shooting on 16mm film with no framegrabber, and trust me, you learn so much faster, and get better results and encouragement from seeing what you are doing.

An iPhone or iPad can be used for stop motion with a free or low cost app.  But they have automatic exposure, so the pictures keep getting brighter or darker as it adjusts to the animator going in front of the camera to move the puppet.  And you have to touch the device to take the photo, which is likely to move it.  But it would certainly work for practice.

Any digital camera could be put on a tripod, and you could take shots and save them to the camera's own memory card.  Then download the images to the computer later, after you are finished.  It wouldn't tie up the shared computer for hours that way.  But without seeing how the animation is going, it won't be as good.

Slightly older computers can sell for a fraction of their original price, as newer faster ones come along, so I would look at getting another computer. 

You are right, Steve.  

This thread dates back to 2014, and since then I have tested a stop motion App on my iPad.  It allows you to lock the focus and exposure, so it stays steady.  I believe you can even use an iPhone to control the iPad so you don't have to touch it, but I found that mine was steady enough it didn't move around with the light touch needed to take the shot and check the previous frames.  As a tool for learning to animate, it was just as good as the DSLR and Dragonframe setup I use, and far better than the 16mm film camera with no video assist that I first learned on.  With the right lighting it can produce some pretty good images, though with my setup (based on lighting for DSLR with a longer exposure) I was getting slightly grainy images. 

My test is here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCldXEMOCLM

I'm sorry about that. I now realize I'm essentially repeating the same conversation from a couple years ago. I'm an amateur myself and use iMotion Pro on my iPhone 6 and the accompanying iMotion Pro Remote on my iPad. The software also has an option to trigger frame grabs by sound (finger snap, whistle etc.) For what it is, it does the job. There are other apps with a broader feature set including shooting along an audio track with a waveform view and a scrubber but I like the simplicity of iMP. If I had to do a lip sync shot it would be tough but impossible. The files are also exportable as raw pictures in addition to as 1080p video. Again, not any kind of pro setup but this sort of format has come a long way especially with the better quality cameras on modern iPhones/iPads.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Ethan Bartholomae replied to Matthew Bradley's discussion Silicone painting with 'Tinsil Gel 10'.
"If you do search out silicone caulk to use be careful of the type that you get, there's…"
13 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh posted a discussion

Testing the 3D printable winders

Here is a quick video I made to compare two winders, one with an all-metal rack and the other which…See More
16 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Matthew Bradley's discussion Silicone painting with 'Tinsil Gel 10'.
"The main advantage of tin silicone is that (I believe) it can be cast over latex.  So you can…"
yesterday
StopmoNick replied to StopmoNick's discussion 1 minute film finished
"Thanks guys!  Some still photos of the puppet making process and studio set-up, for those who…"
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}