Does anyone have any suggestions on purchasing 1:6 scale props? I've found that there's much more 1:12 props. I have found some things in Ken and Barbie sets on E-bay. 

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are quite a few things made for 12" action figures.  Especially WWII military stuff but some modern furniture and props as well.  I bought a couple of wooden chairs, a plastic folding chair, an umbrella, and a period typewriter (which was very expensive, maybe $30 or $40).  All from eBay.  I pick up other things which are novelties at various shops, like electric guitars and a brass saxophone, and some things which are those metal pencil sharpeners with a bronze finish, like an antique camera and a couple of lanterns.  Usually from Op Shops (charity shops like Oxfam or Goodwill) or Trash 'n Treasure markets.  But I have also had to make a lot of things myself.

eBay USA - Toys and Hobbies - Action Figures - click on 12" box and Accessories box down on the left side  - A wheelie bin came up, a shovel and sledge hammer, and Australian ,UK and US banknotes, right on the first page.    https://www.ebay.com/b/Action-Figures/246?Size=12in%252E&Type=A...  

Also might try Military and Adventure, and Historical categories.

A search for 1:6 scale chairs came up with folding chairs and office swivel chairs.  1:6 wooden chairs came up with different ones.  And some non-chair things like a wine barrel, guitar, axe, bunk beds:  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&am...

Thanks for the information. I'll see what I can find on eBay.

StopmoNick said:

There are quite a few things made for 12" action figures.  Especially WWII military stuff but some modern furniture and props as well.  I bought a couple of wooden chairs, a plastic folding chair, an umbrella, and a period typewriter (which was very expensive, maybe $30 or $40).  All from eBay.  I pick up other things which are novelties at various shops, like electric guitars and a brass saxophone, and some things which are those metal pencil sharpeners with a bronze finish, like an antique camera and a couple of lanterns.  Usually from Op Shops (charity shops like Oxfam or Goodwill) or Trash 'n Treasure markets.  But I have also had to make a lot of things myself.

eBay USA - Toys and Hobbies - Action Figures - click on 12" box and Accessories box down on the left side  - A wheelie bin came up, a shovel and sledge hammer, and Australian ,UK and US banknotes, right on the first page.    https://www.ebay.com/b/Action-Figures/246?Size=12in%252E&Type=A...  

Also might try Military and Adventure, and Historical categories.

A search for 1:6 scale chairs came up with folding chairs and office swivel chairs.  1:6 wooden chairs came up with different ones.  And some non-chair things like a wine barrel, guitar, axe, bunk beds:  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&am...

If you could name any specific scale props you need, I might know of a source.  But of course there are many many more things you can't get than the things you can.

Mostly apartment items: bed, table, chairs, kitchen appliances, bathroom items, 1:6 scale food, beer or alcohol bottles (filled and empty), tv, remote, lamps, windows (working Venetian blinds would be cool), door, cell phone, and clothes for the character. Also a few things you might see outside an apartment window like trees and cars.

I’ve found quite a few things on eBay but haven’t purchased much yet.

Cars:  I had to make them from scratch, I couldn't find anything in 1:6 scale.  I did buy die cast cars in 1:24 for smaller scale street sets, since I didn't have room for much in my usual 1:6 scale.  What I was able to buy was a few 1:6 scale motorcycles - there are cheapish ones from New-Ray,  expensive but incredible ones from Minichamps but very few choices.  The New-Ray Vespa looks good, it doesn't suffer from the wire wheel spokes being too fat since it has solid wheels. These only work if you are going for a realistic look, many stop mo films are much more stylised and a realistic model vehicle would look out of place (Like ParaNorman).   But that is true for small props too. 

A smaller scale outside the window might work, maybe 1:12, it would look like it was a bit further away.  There are a few 1:12 cars, not many.

Bottles and glasses: You can definitely get 1:6 wine bottles, I spotted some yesterday.  I turned a couple of bottle shapes on a lathe, years ago, and made silicone moulds to cast in solid clear resin.   I've seen wine glasses made for Barbie, but they were really closer to 1:8 scale to go with her tiny hands.  Ok for set dressing.  For a bigger size, I use the clear caps that come on some hairspray bottles for relatively straight glasses.

Furniture: 

Just been looking at a set I did for a little animation exercise, to see which things I bought.  Not that many: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TzItmwLz9A    From the left: I made the grey desk from MDF.  The glass is a spray bottle cap.  I made the chair, but now you can get them.  (That happens a lot, I make one, 1 or 2 days labour, and then find something similar for $2.)  I made that Vader lamp from aluminium strips, plastic objects and thin card, but as I said there have been similar lamps sold since then, only I needed the helmet shape.  I made the bed from 6mm and 3mm MDF.  I made the bookshelf from ply, and the books from blocks of mdd with a slightly larger card cover folded around.  The purple radio was a novelty item from a discount shop, may have even worked at first.  The lamp was from a set of Barbie props, but made by some other cheap outfit.  I remember I bought that, a set of too-small glasses and cutlery, and a plastic "marble" fireplace surround that I've never found a use for, but I use to pick up these cheap little things like keychain ornaments or pencil sharpeners looking like miniature props to have in stock in case one day I could use them, and they would have come and gone in the shops by then.  

Anyway, good luck with your search!

Thank you. I’ll probably end up buying props I can find and making the ones I can’t. Using 1:12 props for outside the window might work well as I want a tree branch in the foreground with 1:6 scale animated birds (not sure how I’m going to do that yet) and I could use the 1:12 items in the background.

Making furniture using plasticard is relatively simple. I recently made some 1:6 scale bedroom furniture with this method. Take a look at Adam Savage's YouTube video on scratch building models and kit bashing for the technique. The liquid weld glue really does work like he says!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Eric J. Nelson posted a video

TA-DA -- WALL-E Stop Motion Animation by Heavy Visuals

An excerpt from WALL-E stop motion animation tribute. Animation by www.HeavyVisuals.com
Tuesday
Count Croc replied to A film by Adam Ciolfi's discussion FILTH - a film by Adam Ciolfi
"Cool! This reminds me of Phil Tippett's Mad God except you actually know what's going on."
Sunday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}